There are a few steps to get Magento 1.9x default RWD Color Swatches to show in the layered navigation.
- Go to your attribute and make sure it is set to global
- Ensure that you know the exact name of your color that is listed in the Admin column and save your images with this file name
- Save your image as a PNG file. If your Admin Label in step 2 contains any spaces or special characters, be sure to replace those with hyphens and replace uppercase with lowercase in the filename. (ie: Black Powdercoat should be black-powdercoat.png)
- Now head over to edit any CMS Page or Static Block and Insert an image
- Be sure to click on the 1)root folder, then click 2)create folder, and create a 3)folder named “swatches” (all lowercase).
- Upload your images…
- And there you have it…