There are a few steps to get Magento 1.9x default RWD Color Swatches to show in the layered navigation.
1. Go to your attribute and make sure it is set to global
2. Ensure that you know the exact name of your color that is listed in the Admin column and save your images with this file name
3. Save your image as a PNG file. If your Admin Label in step 2 contains any spaces or special characters, be sure to replace those with hyphens and replace uppercase with lowercase in the filename. (ie: Black Powdercoat should be black-powdercoat.png)
4. Now head over to edit any CMS Page or Static Block and Insert an image
5. Be sure to click on the
1) root folder, then click
2) create folder, and create a
3) folder named “swatches” (all lowercase).
6. Upload your images…
7. And there you have it…